Monday, February 9, 2015

How I miss being anywhere but here

First day at school and all I've been thinking about is how to bring back my holiday? I need one, asap! So instead of whining about how boring school was (well not that boring actually, one of the most prominent lecturer is going to be my lecturer for this semester: Iwan Jaya Aziz!), let's get back to the day I first travel abroad. Well not really the first, it's the first when I'm conscious and big enough to remember everything. And where is this fortunate country? Give a round of applause to China & Hong Kong! (Are they still a same country now? Yes? Okay whatever.)

My very first trip abroad was very impressive! It makes me the person I am now: a person who loves to travel and wants to do it more and more (if only I have all the time and money in the world).

I went to Beijing and Hong Kong when it was in the winter season with my dad, sister, and grandma. Luckily it was not the peak of winter, it already in the middle of transition to spring. Because if not, I'd be a dead meat since I can't bare any cold (yes, I know I look like a peasant. But then again, that's why people invent heater!). But anyway, I was happy because I got the chance to use a coat even though I didn't got the chance to see some snow and the most important thing is, I can tell people that I've been to the Great Wall of China. Seriously guys, it really is great.

The great Great Wall of China
I really don't know why people always complain about how the number of pollution in China is really high and you can actually feel it when you take your first step there, because frankly, I didn't smell anything. True, there are lots of cars and traffic jams, but I still think that it is far better than Jakarta. You can actually see bikers bike in their side, no overwhelming amount of motorcycles, cars queueing in the middle of jams, etc. Everything was in fact (at least for me), very neat and tidy and organized and I can't smell or feel any pollution!

And then comes Hong Kong. Hong Kong is really is the even-more-industrialized version of China. Sophisticated skyscrapers everywhere, high-end cars here and there, no one seems to be in poverty, you name it! What startled me most is the Avenue of Stars, and ironically it's not because of the handprint and signature of the artists (I don't even realize that it was there until I read more about the place later). I was in fact amused by the scenery of skyscrapers and lights of the buildings. Avenue of Stars is located next to a lake (or a river?), and the buildings' reflection in the water just somehow bring it to the next level (one little tip: visit this place at night, it's prettier!). We took a ferry (or a boat) ride there (I remembered that it's really expensive but don't remember how much was it because my dad pays it all :p), and I definitely recommend the boat tour! It's a very lavish one and you'll be treated like a princess (or prince)!

Beautiful skyscrapers in Avenue of Stars

Another highlight from Hong Kong is of course.... *drumroll* ..... Disneyland!! Nothing needs to be explained, Disneyland is just Disneyland and it's amazing.

Cinderella's Castle, Dumbo, and Princess Belle!

Disneyland highlights and please-don't-miss are: the parade and the fireworks when it's closing. You will again feel like a princess (or prince)!

Highlights of the whole trip was my understanding about how people of China and Hong Kong are really really religious. They have lots of Gods and they pray to each and one of them. You want a soulmate? They got one God for it. Want to be healthy? Another God is ready. Want to get rid and forget an ex? Of course they also have one. And what more important is, never ask something to the wrong God because if you mistaken the God, something bad will happen. And that's not what we want, right?

Dewi Kuan Im

Dewa Pemberi Jodoh
You can see people coming to the Gods for their personal needs and desires every day, every hour, every minute, and you can see them praying from their hearts. Some of them even pour some tears when they pray. That's just how religious they are. And that's one of their value that I admire: to never forget where they come from and where they belong.

No comments: